Katerina Zourou, Ph.D, is a recognized researcher in the area of digital (language) education, having produced a research book, journal special issues, and several peer reviewed papers (full list). She is regularly invited to give talks or to participate to expert panels.
Katerina is the Director of Web2Learn and gives lectures at master level at University of Grenoble Alpes (France) and the Hellenic Open University (Greece).
- Member of the MOONLITE project “Massive Open Online courses eNhancing LInguistic and Transversal skills for social inclusion and Employability” (2016-2019).
- Member of Elang project “digital literacy for the teaching/learning of languages” supported by the Council of Europe/ European Centre for Modern languages (2016-2018).
- Project initiator and manager of the KA2 network LangOER “Enhancing teaching and learning of less used langauges through Open Educational Resources (OER) and Practices (OEP) (2014-2016)
- Project initiator and member of the KA2 ExplOERer project “Supporting OER re-use in learning ecosystems” (2014-2016)
- Project initiator and manager of the KA4 Web2LLP project “Improving web strategies and maximizing the social media presence of LLP projects” (2012-2014)
- Project initiator and manager of the KA2 LS6 Network “language learning and social media: 6 key dialogues” (2010-2012)
- Technical expert of the EACEA study “The impact of ICT and new media on language learning”. A 2.5 year pan-European study carried out successfully upon a call for tenders.
- Technical expert of the EACEA study “Successful Methods Used to Motivate European Citizens to Learn Languages”. A 2-year pan-european study carried out successfully upon a call for tenders.
Invited talks (selection)
- (2016). Keynote talk at the symposium «The Future of Learning: Critical Perspectives on Higher Education in the Digital Age». University of Central Lancashire, Preston, UK. June 22. Programme and slides.
- (2014). “Social media for communication purposes of Erasmus projects”. Invited by European Commission’s EACEA to give a presentation to the coordinator’s meeting of the EC-funded Erasmus projects. Brussels, January 23. (slides)
- (2013). «Open Education: multilingual, user driven and glocalised». Invitation by the European Commission’s Joint Research Centre to join the dedicated foresight workshop on the development of a common vision of the Future of Open Education. Seville, April 29-30.
- (2013). Médias sociaux et apprentissage des langues: quelle(s) nouveauté(s)? Colloque ALSIC, Montpellier, 12-13 December (slides)
- (2013). “Languages and social media: three opportunities and one threa” “Languages for mobility, jobs and active citizenship” conference. Organised by DG EAC and Lithuanian presidency of the Council of European Union. Vilnius, Lithuania, 25 & 26 September.
- (2010). Presentation of the EU-funded “Study on the Impact of ICT and New Media on Language Learning”; 2009-2010). Invited by the European Commission Executive Agency to Eurocall conference, University Bordeaux III, Sept. 9, 2010. http://eurocall2010.u-bordeaux4.fr/docs_en/programme.htm
- (2010). Web 2.0 and how it affects development of language resources, materials and methods: perceptions by media and publishing houses. Invited by National Cheng Kung University (NCKU), Taichung, Taiwan, May 6, 2010.
- (2010). Tellecollaboration and Web 2.0 tools in educational contexts: exploring boundaries between formal and informal learning. Invited by National Chengchi University, Taipei, Taiwan. May 14, 2010.
- (2009). ”What is intercultural competence and how can we use it in connection to international youth work projects?”. Round table on Intercultural Competence organised by SALTO –Youth (Support, Advanced Learning and Training Opportunities within the European YOUTH programme). Rome, Italy, 25 – 29 May 2009.